Friday, November 19, 2010

John Adams

This is the Gilbert Stuart portrait thought to have been painted in Philadelphia in 1798 and is considered to be the finest portraits of him.
This semester for my history class instead of doing a typical research paper, we were asked to do a book report on a historical book from the time period of the beginning of our country to 1877. Although I love "The Killer Angles" an have read it several times, I opted for a book that I haven't read before in hopes to expand my historical knowledge. It worked!
Before reading this I knew that John Adams was the second President of the United States and not much more. Now, I know much more about him and his life. I am pleased to say that although he was not the most favored man of his time, he truly walked among giants of men. Not only did he walk with them, but he was able to help them to be better and set a shinning example for future generations. His love of his wife and his family were strong even though his work was demanding and often took him away from them for months or years at a time. John Adams was and is in my mind the unsung hero of the founding fathers. Thanks to David McCullough, my history teacher, and my Father-In-Law I know have much more respect for him and his great work towards making our country what is it today.

1 comment:

McCorristin Family said...

He was truly dedicated to the cause of freedom for the American Colonies and serving to lay the foundation of this country before and after the revolution. He gave so much at a cost to his family. I am so grateful for what he did. Patience was definitely not one of his virtues however he had many strengths that served us well. Thanks for your posting and glad I could you in some way.

Grandpa Mac