Monday, March 18, 2013

Gossiping and Rude Comments Tangent

Lately I've not had much time for writing anything on here that's much for content.  A few pictures and a couple of captions (which is great) but I feel like I need to write a little bit of what's been on my mind lately.  So, prepare yourself for my tangent.

(This should come with a disclaimer that most likely anyone who reads this is not an inspiration for my complaining.  Just thoughts as I am raising a couple of girls and trying to make it through life as a woman.)

I've never really been the girl who hangs out with other girls.  It has always been easier for me to go play with the boys than fight the social battle of mind games and verbal fist fights with the girls.  Women are just older girls.  Not a lot changes from when you are 5 to what you are 30 in the girl to girl relationship department.  Some of us have lots of friends and some of us have a few.  There are girls who like to talk about other girls.  There are girls who say stupid things and have no clue that they are stupid things.  There are girls who are generally stupid and because they are "cute" or "popular" people either don't notice that they or their actions are stupid.

On more than one occasion I have found my foot in my mouth.  I think that we are all guilty of it at some point.  Taking a stab at someone or saying something that you might think is funny can be taken the wrong way very easily.  It's interesting to me what some people think is funny.  Personally, I love a good story that involves my kids screaming and running around embarrassing me.  That's life.  I like to share our adventures with our kids because we're not perfect and I want other moms to know that we aren't.  You have to look at it in the moment and laugh a little or you'll just cry and want to run away and hide!

There are some people who make comments that are not appropriate and it's just not funny.  It's important in that moment to take a few things into consideration.

1.)  That person is probably an idiot.  Seriously, sometimes people are just dumb.

2.)  That person has no idea what YOU are really like or even who you are.  This is my go-to for biting my tongue.  It's like, "If you really knew me, you'd NEVER say that to me!"  Think it in your head and plan your revenge for later.  Muhahahaha...  Oh wait...

3.)  Consider who else is a part of the conversation.  It's interesting to me to see how certain people will say certain things only when with a particular group.

As each of us has to interact with others in this life, I hope that we realize that we can land on either side of gossip or an inappropriate comment at any point.  Just because you are usually the one who doesn't get offended, doesn't mean that you won't be.  Likewise, just because others offend you constantly doesn't mean that you have not or won't offend someone in the future.

The key to all of this tangent is how we react to the situation.  Personally, I'm a big fan of dirty looks, weird faces, and the ever so subtle, "Yeah, and so's your Mom!"  Ha ha.  Seriously though, I have been thinking about this a lot lately and it's a never ending battle.  We have to try our hardest each day to be kind to each other even when others are not kind to us.  In a perfect world, no one would be mean to anyone else.  In the real world, we need to be careful of what we say and to who and also be able to brush off a lot of what others say to us.

No comments: