Thursday, May 29, 2008

Heavy Rains ONLY at Our House!

So for the past few nights Mike and I have noticed that there have been very heavy rains. Yet, the weather man never mentioned any rain that significant in the forecast or in the precipitation counts. We thought that was odd.

I was awoken by one of those heavy rain storms at 3:30 am. I could hardly see out of the window the water was coming down so hard. My neighbor was just getting home from her 3rd shift job. She pulled into her parking space and got out of the car not trying to hurray and get out of the rain, but starring at our house in awe. All right, time to go see what’s going on!

Yes, it was raining. No it was not from Heaven… it was from Old Faithful in my front lawn! One of the sprinkler heads had broken and there was massive water pressure shooting all of the way up to the bottom side of our roof and then down into the window well for the basement.

I quickly grabbed one of the snow shovels that my other neighbors were so gracious to leave on the porch well beyond snow season and went to work. I deflected the fire hose worthy flow into the parking lot. The entire time I was getting a free shower of the coldest water that I have ever suffered through. That went on for about 10 minutes.

All of that water flooded the basement. At least it only got the insulation and the concrete wet. The one advantage to having an unfinished basement was that there wasn’t much to clean up. I changed my clothes and crawled back into bed. I cuddled up next to Mike who was sound asleep and tried to rid myself of the bone chilling cold.

1 comment:

Funky Zach said...

That's hilarious, it sounds like something from a sitcom!