Wednesday, July 30, 2008

In December... Sam goes to Iraq

My little brother Sam is slated to go to Iraq with his Unit in December. I thought that I’d share how I feel about this. When he told me a part of me wanted to cry. I wasn’t hit with tears of fear or even anxiety… It was knowing that he is living his dream that made it real to me.

Since he was a little boy he has always wanted to serve his country. There was never a question of “if” it was always a matter of “when” with him. He started out in the National Guard in High School and has moved into the Army. Along with Fire Dept. volunteering and a number of other programs to help him advance he's been a busy guy. Basic Training is just around the corner and then “The Sand Box.”

I have always been close to my little brother and this is hard for me. I support him 100% knowing that he is doing what he has known his whole life he would do. Yet, I am still reserved about how I really feel about this fight.

Oddly enough, we sang “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” in church recently and finding out Sam was going to Iraq brought that song to mind. In the 3rd verse the original version stated in reference to Christ, “As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free.” The version that is in our hymn book was changed slightly to, “Let us live to make men free.” I truly believe that Sam is living his life to make men free. He’s not going to end the War in Iraq by himself, but being driven with the purpose of improving those around him is his very special calling in this life.

I am very proud to say that he is my brother and that I love him. My thoughts and prayers are with him everyday and I’d encourage all of you to keep him in mind. (I’ll give you another reminder in December before he leaves too!)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm so glad that Sam is able to live his dream... may he serve well, and may God protect him.

Paul Mosley said...

Tell Your Brother good luck! You guys should come over sometime. Thanks again for taking our pictures. I should get some business cards from you or something.
Paul