Monday, June 29, 2009

Val on Morphine

I figured that since it's been a week now I can reflect on the past and finally give in and talk about my experience with my second c-section. Prepare yourselves now to think that I am totally crazy and for a lot of reading! Since I am writing this at 1 in the morning (on a lot pain medication) this could be a really great post!

Having a planned c-section was very different than the surprise of the previous one. The 1st time around I had no idea what to expect, since I'd planned on a normal birth the whole time. I expected sweating, screaming, and a lot of pain medications to help me along the way. My mental state was confused and nervous. This time around the anxiety and anticipation were nearly overwhelming! It took 2 nurses holding me still to do the spinal. My body was shaking uncontrollably and my breathing was very fast and short. I didn't think I was that nervous, but my body told a different story.

Just before this all begins they give you a little drink of antacid so you won't throw up. You guessed it! I threw it up and that caused a little extra fun. The spinal shot is supposed to numb you from about your sternum down. When you cough, gag, or throw up (I did all 3) the medicine travels high up that it is supposed to. I had the pleasure of being number from the eyes down for the procedure.

Along with the numbing medicine comes a small amount of long lasting morphine to help your body make the transition to pain pills later on and so you can endure through the worst part of the pain. Oh... morphine and I are friends with a very special relationship. I like not feeling pain and it makes me totally random. When I'm nervous I can't stop talking. When I'm nervous on morphine I can't stop talking and barely make sense. Here's where the fun really begins!

Due to the fact that I had throw up there was a horrible taste in my mouth. I wanted a drink of water to rinse it out. I asked everyone in the room to get me a drink of water. They all said no. That was frustrating to me. I just wanted a drink of water! I asked everyone really nicely to get it and even whispered to the one nurse who I thought was on my side to get me some. Even Mike told me no! I asked several times to the point that there was a line up outside of the surgery room at the drinking fountain!

Since I was numb so high up I couldn't feel myself breating. I asked one of the doctors if I was dead. He said that if I was talking I wasn't dead. I figured that I needed to keep talking to know I was alive. Still, no drinks of water for me.

They took Brooke out and started taking care of her right away. She started crying and that made me super happy! I knew that she was going to be ok and was alive. I couldn't control my arms or anything when they brought her over for me to see. Mike stayed for a little while after that watching trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Then, he left to go be with Brooke.

This is where Mike can't tell me what happened so I have to go off of what my doctor told me the next day. He said that I was still asking for drinks of water with no progress. Then, since they unrestrained my arms I started moving my arms all around because they were numb. I made like sock puppet hands over the curtain to the doctor. I said that they were going to tell me what was going on. I asked if they needed any help. Then, what my doctor called one of the most memorable moments ever happened...

One of the doctors spilled some liquid on the floor. I asked him if he was making the floor numb. It might feel better because with everyone walking on it the floor probably hurt a lot. Everyone laughed and he said no it was just water. I yelled at him, "You're giving the floor a drink and not me!!!!!!!" Everyone started laughing hysterically.

My doctor said that with me begging for water and asking them to make the floor numb that Brooke was a c-section he'd never forget. I made every one's day in surgery.

4 comments:

Bobbie Murphy said...

Sounds like you had a "GREAT" experience that I am sure NO ONE will EVER forget!!!LOL. When Kaylin was born the Doctor had everyone in the room sing "Come, Come Ye Saints" Why I have NO idea but it is something I won't forget!!!

momtherunner said...

Val...that's sooo funny!! What a fun story to tell Brooke as she gets older.

Indyrew Texas said...

Morphine does not do that to me. I just throw it up! I was rolling on the floor reading this!!! I am glad that Brooks is doing well.

Justin & Heather said...

I am dying laughing, that was freaking hilarious!!! Mike is probably so sad he missed that last part!