Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bird Watching



A little while ago Mike and I saw a yellow bird out at his parents' house and couldn't figure out what it was. It was really far away and high up in a tree so I couldn't catch a picture of it. I figured it was a one and done deal and I'd missed it.

Then, out in our back yard I noticed this guy! There was really no missing him. Bright yellow and an orange red crown. He wasn't as big as the robins, but pretty good sized. I'm beside myself. I'm usually pretty good at identify the bird, but not this one. I'm pretty sure I've never seen this bird before. The orange color is probably a breeding color and not a normal for the bird and that makes it even more interesting to me!

It was fun trying to take pictures through the glass. Forgive the lack of clarity and the fact that the top one was cropped way down to see the bird the best. One Day National Geographic will come calling... Ha ha. Today I'm just a back yard hobbyist photographer/birdwatcher.


Western Tanager! Hooray he has a name. Thanks Dad!

1 comment:

McCorristin Family said...

The bird is a western tanager.
Love,
Grandma