Friday, July 16, 2010

Michigan Trip

Here's the quick run down on my trip to Michigan. The 30 second news blurb...

Dad was listed as critical, but stable. Mom was freaked out. Sam and I were both super worried. John? Who knows what he thinks. I acquired a ticket to Flint and after a long day and a half of traveling made it to Flint. Visited with the doctors and nurses, saw a bunch of people from church, went to church, hung out with a few friend, took a few pictures, and then came home first class on a direct flight from Detroit to SLC!

Still can't get enough? There's some more story with the pictures!

My Mom just needed her most favorite daughter to come and give her BIG hugs! Oh yeah and she needed Dad to get out of the hospital.


Once he was able to be trusted with sharp objects we brought in some things to help him feel more pretty. The lilies in the back we cut from our front yard and made a lovely bouquet for him. Day Lilies don't last long as cut flowers,but it was nice to have something from home that he loves so much.
He did improve a lot while I was there. We brought him home on the 4th of July and joked about it being "Independence Day" for the nurses since they didn't have to wait on him anymore. Ha ha.
Since that was a Sunday (and I realized that I had pack zero church clothes I had to do some quick shopping.) A couple of days before went to the Salvation Army and bought a amazing pair of red leather heels and a shirt for less than $6. I was donated a sweater from my friend Kathleen to complete the outfit. I was so pleased with myself for being resourceful.

The farm that my best friend Kat lives on now.

She gave me a pony ride on this adorable little Shetland Pony. It was super funny watching me climb on the fence and literally jump onto the horse without a saddle! The sweet little horse didn't seem to mind, but was sure glad to have a treat for her suffering.

Kathleen's crazy parents are loads of fun and never too serious!


There isn't much in Rankin, but a lot of CORN! I really do love corn and cows.
We went to one of our favorite dives in Rankin called Sam's. It's an Italian place that has this appetizer called Samoritos. Basically, fried pizza dough with sauce. Soooooooo good! They now have a dessert form of them with Carmel and powdered sugar. We had to try those and ended up eating almost 2 huge plates of fried food. BOTH of us nearly died afterwards, but it was a great time and good memories from that place.
Kat and I realized that we were there while watching a lot of the Columbine shooting coverage after out golf practice. I had almost forgotten that. We both asked the same guy to homecoming our Senior year and we went there for dinner with Allen. I went there with my other best friend from high school Dan a few times too. Great place.
A few of the things I have missed seeing living in Utah...
Queen Anne's Lace.

The woodpeckers and other songs birds attacking the feeders in the backyard. (Eryn saw this picture and said, "Birds eat rice crispy treats? They are soooooo yummy!")


My brother John and his wife Marie are expecting a baby at the start of December. Both aren't a big fan of having their picture taken, but suffered through a few quick pictures for me.

Sam's dog Ella. She's a border collie and I think boxer mix. Great dog with a TON of energy!

John and his first love Abby. This dog totally HATES his wife. It's so funny to see the drama unfold of wife vs. puppy dog.

This is Bear. Mom calls him Buddy Bear. Cute dog with a good heart. John and Marie both hate him and I can see why... I think Mom and Dad like the dog better! Ha ha, just kidding!

I mean, come on? He's so cute and even smiling for the camera! I really wanted to take him home with me.

When I left Dad was still very sore, but improving constantly. He's been up and moving around, coordinating temple trips, and trying hard to put in as much time in front of the Family History as possible. My Mom is probably going insane waiting on him, but she loves him so much that deep down she really doesn't mind it for now anyhow.
I think that is the biggest idea that I was able to get out of everything with my trip to Michigan. The idea that love is something that is difficult to describe, but easy to see and feel. The pained expressions that were tossed around that hospital room will forever live in my memory. My parents love each other so much and have endured so much together over the years. It was a great example to me of true love and dedication to someone that you plan on spending eternity with.

1 comment:

The McKays said...

Glad to hear your dad is doing alright! And I'm glad the blog posts are back:) Cute pics of all the girls!