Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Filling Fancy NOT Free

Recently I had a very old filling break a part and fall out. My mouth really started hurting as a result. Chewing was nearly impossible and drinking anything cold or sweet was more trouble than it was worth. Yes, it was time to fight my fear and go to the dentist.

My friend told me about a dentist office near by that was really great. I went there with my anxiety high and prepared for the worst. I found out that I not only had a broken filling, but a number of other cavities! I was devastated. To this point, I'd only had 1 in my whole lifetime. Now, I had 4. In my defense, the new cavities are located in the very deep grooves on the top of my teeth. Brushing and flossing doesn't really help those. Most people do get cavities there at some point in their lives even with proper care. I now have to try much harder to avoid drinking Coke and get used to Coke Zero. Dang it.

With a lot of gas and shots they were able to finally calm me down enough to fill in 2 of the new ones and replace my broken filling. The white composite fillings look so much nicer than the silver things of the past. (Unfortunately, they do cost more. Thank you dental insurance for helping make this all possible!) I am glad to be able to chew food now and not have massive pain. Next month they are going to fill in the other 2. I'm praying that I will be able to calm down and not need gas to allow them to fix the rest.

2 comments:

McCorristin Family said...

give up the soda pop completely.

Grandpa Mac

valmike said...

I would also have to give up Eryn then. I need the Coke to help heal the migraines she causes!