Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Army Woes


My fun loving crazy little brother Sam is not quite himself lately. He's safe and physically fully in tact, but mentally he's struggling. No not PTSD, yet... It's looking like about 3+ years of memory loss and a few tramatic experiences to start that all off. He passed out on base in Iraq apparently either during or just after a lot of physical activity. While blacked out he was being loaded into a make shift ambulence (which was a van) and he thought he was being kidnapped! Hallucination? Maybe, or sheer terror from a kid who suddenly thought he was 17 again! Either way, he was so scared and probably thinking he was going a little crazy to boot. I can only imagine the pure horror that might have been going through his mind at that time...

We're still waiting on details and the waiting part has to be the worst. This limbo state of not knowing exatly what is going on, but that there is a problem is the most painstaking and dreadful experience. He should be medivaced to a safer place soon, but we've heard no word of the transfer yet. I'm desperately trying to stay informed with my parents and Sam's buddies who I have managed to get in touch with via FaceBook. (Where I was able to get a few details from a friend who helped pick him up from the ground and load him into the van.)

Before, I thought that fb was a glorious waste of time. Now, I'm starting to see that there is a massive ammount of value in communications with people that you hardly know. They know your family and love them so much. There are people out there who are able to tell us how much they love us and their prayers are united in pleading with the Lord for Sam at this time. Friends from long ago and new friends all tied together to share their love and thoughts is a very powerful thing to wittness. It is a beautiful thing that brings tears to my eyes to see how much my little brother is loved by all who know him.

(Spell check on here isn't working so please forgive my horrid spelling!)

2 comments:

momtherunner said...

I will pray for the best!

Ali Workentin said...

Found your blog by going to next blog. Read the post about your brother. Sure hope all is well with him.