Monday, June 18, 2012

More Flint

Big John Steak and Onion happens to be the world's greatest sandwhiches.  We HAD to stop there for lunch one day while we were visiting.

The Flint Public Library where many hours of my childhood were spent reading Family History books with my Dad, kids books and playing computer games while watching the hamsters run around, and magazines up on the second floor when I was older.

Flint Institute of Art was a great source of inspiration to me.  Visits there helped me to learn and enjoy art and the love of photography.

Our Flint Ward building.  It's bigger now than it once was.

All over the city of Flint they are closing schools and this was one of the best of them.  The indoor track, 3rd floor of foreign language classes, and the very extensive auto body shop and public radio station where all a part of this great school.  Now, it sits alone and empty.


The Vernors mural is difficult to photograph while cars are in the parking lot, but always fun to see.

The churches downtown are also very beautiful and rich in architectural details.

Flint loves painting on the side of buildings!


MLK and Malcom X painted randomly on the side of a closed down convience store.

LOTS of boarded up houses around the old stomping grounds.  It breaks my heart to see them and to see how those who are still around there are struggling.

McLaren, the hospital my Dad worked at for far too many years!  Ha ha.  Also, the place where my brothers and I were born.

It was also very sad for me to see what was once home to the HUGE AC plant (which made basically every spark plug for every car in the entire country at one point) a empty parking lot.  Literally, parking lot.  The enormous building was leveled a couple of years ago.  With everything that's changed around there and all of the crime and job loss, it is a very sad place to be for certain.

The people who are there still, like my parents and my brother John and his family are doing their best to stay positive and to take what they can from these experiences and learn and move forward.  I'm glad that I left, yet my hearts aches everyday for those I love who are still there.  Part of me will always call that place home though, no matter how bad it gets.

No comments: