Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ice Dragging

Eryn and I went ice skating last night at an event paid for by a company that we have been a client of for awhile now. It was FREE and I was so excited to take my little girl to do something different that I LOVE so much! All day she was constantly asking me when we were going and squealing with excitement. I was just as excited, but without the squealing. Mike doesn't like ice skating, so it's been a long time since I'd gone.

We stopped and had some of Eryn's beloved chicken nuggets at Wendy's and a frosty before heading to the event. On the way to the car she stopped and looked up and me and said, "Mommy, thank you buy me chicken nuggets and ice creams." I seriously almost cried. She was so polite and just beaming with excitement for what was to come.

I knew that anything free would be seriously crowded, so we arrived exactly on time. We were one of the first few to get skates and head towards the ice. Eryn could barely stand up on the blades on the walkways, so I knew that this was going to be a little rough. We opened the door and she stepped her first foot on the ice and screamed, "Slippery!!!!!!!!" Then, the tears began.

Now, picture me trying desperately hard to drag around a screaming 30 lb ball of dead weight on ice skates. I'm sure that she would have knocked over a less experienced Mom, but she didn't know who she was dealing with! After it took us a full hour to go around the rink twice, I gave up. It was free so I didn't lose any money on the fact that we could have skated longer. We changed back into our shoes and took the skates back. (There 3 people started fighting over who could get her little kid skates!) They had popcorn and brownies so we stopped and had a snack. That seemed to help Eryn feel better.

Mike reminded me that she is HIS daughter too and he's not an ice skater. He doesn't like it, why should she? I tried really hard to not blame her and to focus on the positives. I was just so disappointed. I know that I expected too much from such a little girl.

I'm not one for posts without pictures, but in this case I'm glad that there are NO pictures of this event.

1 comment:

momtherunner said...

Give her a few years...there is still hope!!